Walden Living is a unique recovery oriented transitional living program that gives individuals with eating and anxiety disorders, as well as individuals struggling with the development of effective living skills, the opportunity to live in a safe and specialized environment.
The strengths of our program are three-fold:
1. This program was conceived and developed under the ongoing supervision of Dr. Theodore Weltzin, a board certified psychiatrist and pioneer in the development of effective treatment for patients with eating disorders and anxiety disorders.
2. We employ experienced Personal Coaches who assist with the day-to-day activities of Walden Living clients, and
3. We offer affordable housing located in communities with convenient access to nationally recognized treatment centers, Rogers Memorial Hospitals, as well as access to specialized, community-based treatment professionals, career resources and educational opportunities.
While some individuals with eating disorders are often perceived to be treatment resistant or unable to recover, it has been our experience that this often relates to limitations of treatment based on cost and access to expertise. At Walden Living we seek to provide a recovery oriented living situation in which individuals can access the treatment they need in a real-life situation. The aim is to shift the focus from treatment and symptom reduction to focusing on the individual as a whole person and the rebuilding of lives. Improvements are gauged by successes in life-skill developments, as well as overall improvements in quality of life.
Walden was designed to address the following situations to promote recovery:
- Addressing the limitations of treatment access relating to insurance coverage for treatment in 24 hour care settings or lack of available treatment expertise.
- Improving access to specialized treatment providers with a proven track record of helping individuals recover from their eating and anxiety disorders.
- Helping individuals to progress in their recovery in a real life living situation, thus decreasing the reliance on specific individual treatment programs and helping to develop confidence in recovery while in an independent setting and where social and supportive interpersonal interactions are emphasized.
As part of the transitional living service, our Personal Coaches provide individualized coaching to help orientate individuals to the community, provide structure, assist with transportation, participate in meal planning and provide overall guidance. Our housing options include affordable, furnished recovery oriented living suites conveniently located in historic, downtown Delafield, WI, as well as a furnished campus area housing in Madison, WI. Individuals in the Walden Program also have access to Dr. Weltzin’s expertise including individual and family interactions as they progress at Walden Living.
For those needing specialized medical and/or behavioral health treatment, Walden Transitional Living is an ideal choice for the adjustment to independent living. It also gives parents the option to be near their children who are receiving specialty care and practice lifestyle challenges with them prior to returning home.
As successful treatment from any illness requires an individual treatment approach, we believe Walden Living provides an opportunity for patients to adapt to treatment, in an environment that best fits their needs, and helps them successfully recover from their illness.
Theodore Weltzin, MD